The Benji Blanton Memorial Scholarship
Benji Blanton was the son of Randy and Gail Blanton, who lost his life in an automobile accident November 18, 2002. Benji was a graduate of Green Sea Floyds High School and played baseball at Coker College. He came back to his community and was deeply involved in the Green Sea Floyds Recreation Department. Each year the Green Sea Floyds Recreation Department awards a $1,000.00 scholarship to a senior who has met the following criteria:
- Be an outstanding senior athlete in one of the following sports: Varsity Baseball, Varsity Football, or Varsity Softball
- Has a 2.75 or higher grade point average
- The scholarship award will be based upon scholastic achievement, character, participation in extracurricular school activities in addition to athletics and community activities.
- In addition, interested students must submit an application and an essay describing their involvement in the community and the Green Sea Floyds Athletic Sports Program
- All completed application forms are to be returned to the high school guidance director. Applications will then be forwarded to the Benji Blanton Scholarship Committee.
The recipient of the scholarship is chosen by a committee and the award is presented each May at the Green Sea Floyds High School Awards Program.
2003 – Cole Huggins
2004 – Joshua Donaldson
2005 – Cortney Floyd
2006 – Lacey Fogle
2007 – Jason Blanton
2008 – Lauren Livesay-Hooks
2009 – Marcus Curry
2010 – Caitlin Tiller
2011 – Caleb Ward
2012 – Corey Hardwick
2013 – Ashley Ham and Natalie Floyd
2014 – Matthew Brown and Austin Faulk
2015 – Kati Hutchinson
2016 – Jacob Green
2017 – Chandler Strickland
2018 – Tamara Jackson